Just Thinkin'

Moderators: sfamiler, dmartin151, RollinFast, chargerman6904

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Just Thinkin'

Postby 1hotrod » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 am

I was on HWC variation board reading about all of the wheel variations that showed up in G case and it got me to thinking about how much some of us collectors have learned about these little cars. We talked about MC5, PR5, and Oh5 wheels and everyone knows what we mean. We have learned about base codes and have adopted them to help learn when and how long a car was made. We talk about case codes and use them to determine if a car is a newer or older release. We have learned to decipher all of the different jargon that is tossed around these boards, and are able to use it to help us in our collecting the way we want to collect. I think it is amazing what collectors know now days and it kind of makes me proud to know that I fit in here.
What do you guys think?
Are you collector knowledgeable or not? Is there something that you don't understand that we could help you with? That is one of the great things about this site, that someone almost always has an answer for your question.

Rod :wink:

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Re: Just Thinkin'

Postby 1hotrod » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 pm

I heard on HWC there is rumor going around that Mattel is making major changes to the Hot Wheels brand for 2015. I was wondering what those changes could be?
I was thinking ............................................
maybe they were going to get rid of Thunts for good.
Or maybe they are going to go back to spectaflame paint without tampos like they did in the 60's.
Or maybe in an extreme cost cut, they will only have 4 different colors available across the line.
Or maybe they will only produce Camaros and Drag Busses now.

Of course, I'm being more than a little silly with these "ideas", but I'm sure we will all be interested in what comes in the future. Some people will probably love what they do, and some people will hate it and quit collecting because of it.
I suspect that most people will both like some and hate some of what will be done.
For me, I just hope that Mattel keeps putting out cars so that we can enjoy our hobby forever.
What do you think? Do you have some ideas on what Mattel will do in 2015? Let's hear them!

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Sun May 04, 2014 10:16 am

Does anybody else have trouble finding a good belt?
I bought a new belt a little while ago and today I noticed it had a piece hanging off of the bottom of it.
It is the bottom edge of leather that peeled off. All of the new belts that are being sold in the big box stores are made with a couple of extremely thin pieces of leather with some kind of paper board sandwiched between. I've gone thru several in the last couple of years trying to find one to replace my last good one. I had that one for over 5 or 6 years before I decided to retire it. I'm actually still using it, but not for everyday. I just wear it with my work clothes when I'm going to be getting dirty. I've looked in better stores, like the suit places in the mall, and they don't seem to have anything that I like or that seem "better" than the big box stores. There is a "store" in the flea market that will make a belt for you out of real leather, but I haven't found one that looks like I would want to wear it. Most of these tend to fit the biker style more.
That's another thing about the new belts. The buckles are all sewn on now. My old "good" belt had the buckle held on by snaps on the belt. When the leather wore out you could just transfer the old buckle on to the new belt if you didn't like the new buckle. It sure made it easier to buy the new belt because you didn't have to worry about the buckle style so much.
What do you guys think? Anybody else have these troubles?

PVDizbon
Super Treasure Hunt
Super Treasure Hunt

Postby PVDizbon » Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

I am kinda knowledgeable about some Hot Wheels but mostly just about castings I like or collect.
I'm betting Mattel makes more and more cars attractive for kids as is the trend lately; dragons and bugs etcetera.
I found a nice all-leather belt at Walmart earlier this year that has a decent sewed-on buckle.
(o\_!_/o) Just 732,687 to go !
Quaero, capto, VDd... I searched, I grabbed, I VeeDubbed !

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Thu May 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, Pete!

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Thu May 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Has anybody wondered what the term "unspun" means?
I recently saw a post on HWC asking what this term means and wondered if anybody over here was wondering the same thing. I used to work in an automotive tier 2 assembly plant and we had spinner machines to make seat adjusters for the power seats, so I'm familiar with the process. I will attempt an explanation.

The car bodies on Hot Wheels have 1 or 2 posts cast into them that protrude downward through holes in the interior and base. The posts get "spun" down holding all of the pieces together. The term "unspun" comes from a car that doesn't get the process completed and is still loose and can be separated into different parts.
The spinner machine looks alot like a drill press. Instead of a drill, it has an anvil. The anvil is a solid cylinder of metal, kind of like a solid drill, that is ground on the bottom end to the desired shape. It is put in the machine like a drill would be but slightly off center so that it kinda wobbles. This lets the anvil go around the post and flatten it down, with the result looking something like a rivet. The machine has to be set for desired height and pressure to get the optimum results.
Too little and it doesn't hold together properly, but too hard and it will grind down into the part and crack the piece. The machines that we used, had air cylinders on them to activate the cycle and run the part. These were kind of tricky to get set right but once they were right, they would run forever.

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:15 pm

It's been a little while since I posted on this thread so I was just thinkin'...........
It seems that since the beginning of the year, there have been less and less people posting on the diecast forums.
I wonder what is driving people away?
Is it that everyone is switching to facebook and social media for their diecast discussions?
Or has everyone finally decided to back off from the hobby and take a break?
Or maybe, Mattel has finally done itself in and all the old timers are fed up and quit the hobby all together.
It seems, whatever it is, that a lot of people have joined in and quit posting on the forums.
I would hate to see us lose these valuable outlets for our diecast obsession.
The interaction, that we have through these boards, is informational, entertaining, and worth whatever time we want to spend on them. I enjoy reading these boards on a daily basis and get a kick out of seeing what other people have to post about. I hope, that whatever is keeping people away, will get taken care of and everyone will come back and post more often.
What do you guys think?
Have you noticed the posts going down?
What do you think is behind it?
Let's here your ideas!
Thanks for reading my ramblings!!

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:49 am

Well, I've been thinkin' again, so I thought I would make a new post.
Does anybody like to collect the fantasy castings?
You know, the ones that are Mattel designs and not real cars.
I've been finding several of these castings that I am liking more and more.
I've always liked trucks and heavy equipment so the fantasy off road stuff looks good to me.
I like the cars that are kind of like the real ones but done up different,
like the Fast Felion, Overbored 454, 24Seven, and the Fast Fish.
I think those are supposed to be a Jaguar, Chevelle, RX7, and Cuda.
There are a couple of the total fantasy castings that I'm trying to collect.
I'm trying to get as many different ones, as I can, of the Monoposto and the Slingshot.
I've been looking at a few of the newer ones as well.
What about you guys?
What fantasy castings do you like?
Anybody??

PVDizbon
Super Treasure Hunt
Super Treasure Hunt

Postby PVDizbon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 pm

There are a few I might collect if I had the money like the Turbine Time and Convoy Custom

1hotrod
Classic
Classic

Postby 1hotrod » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 pm

A couple of good ones there Pete!
A bit pricey on the premium ones though.
Thanks for the reply!!

PVDizbon
Super Treasure Hunt
Super Treasure Hunt

Postby PVDizbon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:29 am

You're welcome Rod :D

Return to “All other topics”