Olive w/ Black Roof
Orange
Purple
Red
Yellow

mars
Site Admin

Postby mars » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I am hoping to have a complete list of the 1968 Redlines done by the weekend. I have been working on this for a little while.
I collect Baja Bugs, VW Bugs, VW Bug Convertibles, VW Drag Buses,
VW Drag Trucks, VW Karmann Ghias, and VW T1 Drag Buses.

RollinFast
Site Admin

Postby RollinFast » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 pm

right on mars! i completely forgot about this, i started one casting and then forgot!...lol

mars
Site Admin

Postby mars » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm

The information compiled in this thread is from the book "The Ultimate Redline Guide 1968-1977 Second Edition" by Jack Clark & Robert P. Wicker.

All the colors are listed in the order of difficulty (the first color being the easier to find and the last the most difficult to find. ), unless otherwise noted. Metal Collector Buttons came with all Hong Kong models, unless otherwise noted.

1. Beatnik Bandit

US version has an engine with dual carburetors, clear window, flat headlights, and a molded steering rod into the interior.

-Aqua
-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Lime-Yellow
-Orange
-Gold
-Purple
-Olive
-Rose
-Antifreeze
-Copper
-Brown
-Light Blue
-Yellow
-Magenta
-Pink (Creamy)
-Pink (Hot)

Hong Kong version has a supercharged engine, blue tint window, round headlights, a protruding grille, and a black steering wheel. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Aqua
-Blue
-Red
-Green
-Olive
-Orange
-Purple
-Copper
-Pink (Creamy)

There were two different versions of the Metal Collector Button, one had a yellow background and the other had a light blue background.

2. Custom Barracuda

US version has short 'Hood Scoops', clear windows, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded into the interior.

-Aqua
-Blue
-Green
-Gold
-Red
-Purple
-Copper
-Antifreeze
-Light Blue
-Pink (Creamy)
-Rose
-Olive

Hong Kong version has long 'Hood Scoops', blue tint windows, no dashboard, and a black steering wheel. There is a purple interior that was believed to be only for the purple Hong Kong version. This particular interior has also been found in the aqua and copper versions, too. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Aqua
-Copper
-Green
-Blue
-Red
-Purple
-Purple with purple interior
-Light Blue
-Pink (Creamy)
-Orange
-Olive

There has also been 'Hybrids' found as well. These are cars with Hong Kong bases with US body, windows, and interior. Also, there was a Metal Collector Button issued with both the Hong Kong and US models.

Colors listed alphabetically:

-Antifreeze
-Aqua
-Blue
-Gold
-Green
-Purple
-Rose

3. Custom Camaro

US version has large taillights, clear windows, and a steering wheel and a dashboard molded with the interior.

-Green
-Blue
-Antifreeze
-Lime-Yellow
-Aqua
-Copper
-Olive
-Purple
-Light Blue
-Orange
-Gold
-Rose
-Pink (Creamy)
-Brown (Mainly seen on 1968 store displays)
-White Enamel

US version with black roof.

-Blue
-Red
-Antifreeze (The 'Kidney Bean' base was only found on this color. It is very rare)
-Lime-Yellow

Hong Kong version has outlined doors and trunk, small taillights, blue tint windows, and a black steering wheel. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Orange
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Copper
-Olive
-Gold
-Gold with green interior
-Purple
-Pink (Creamy)

Hong Kong version with black roof.

-Blue
-Blue with blue interior
-Antifreeze
-Lime-Yellow
-Aqua
-Orange
-Purple

4. Custom Corvette

US version has a large engine, clear windows, taillights that are part of the base, and a steering wheel and a dashboard molded with the interior.

-Blue
-Red
-Gold
-Green
-Lime-Yellow
-Olive
-Aqua
-Antifreeze
-Orange
-Rose
-Purple
-Magenta
-Copper
-Light Blue
-Yellow
-Brown

Hong Kong version has a small engine, blue tint windows, taillights are part of the body, and a black steering wheel. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Blue
-Red
-Olive
-Aqua
-Green
-Gold
-Purple
-Orange
-Copper
-Pink (Creamy)

5. Custom Cougar

US version has thin taillights, clear windows, and a steering wheel and a dashboard molded with the interior. There are no black roofs issued with the US version.

-Blue
-Green
-Lime-Yellow
-Antifreeze
-Gold
-Orange
-Olive
-Aqua
-Purple
-Red
-Light Blue
-Brown

US version with 'Painted Tooth' (it is the area between the grille that is painted).

-Blue
-Lime-Yellow
-Antifreeze

Hong Kong version has thick taillights, blue tint windows, and a black steering wheel. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Blue
-Blue with blue interior
-Orange

Hong kong version with black roofs.

-Olive
-Gold
-Green
-Aqua
-Red
-Purple

Hong Kong version with 'Painted Tooth'.

-Blue
-Orange

6. Custom Eldorado

US version has a clear window, black roof, and a steering wheel and a dashboard molded with the interior.

-Blue
-Gold
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Lime-Yellow
-Olive
-Orange
-Rose
-Antifreeze
-Brown
-Copper
-Purple
-Yellow
-Light Green
-Magenta
-Pink (Creamy)
-Light Blue
-Pink (Hot)

Hong Kong version has a blue tint window, black roof, and a black steering wheel.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Olive
-Orange
-Copper
-Purple

7. Custom Firebird

US version has straight bucket seats, clear windshield, and a black steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. Firebirds with door lines are rare.

-Blue
-Red
-Gold
-Olive
-Aqua
-Green
-Purple
-Orange
-Brown
-Anitfreeze
-Light Blue
-Rose

Hong Kong version has angled bucket seats and a black steering wheel. Most of them had blue tint windshields. The early Red and Blue versions, with matching interiors, had clear windshields (these were not normally found on Hong Kong vehicles). Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Blue
-Red
-Gold
-Olive
-Aqua
-Green
-Blue with blue interior
-Red with red interior
-Orange
-Copper
-Purple
-Pink (Creamy)

8. Custom Fleetside

US version has a dimple on the bed cover, clear windows, black roof, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. Early castings had thin vertical taillights molded into the base. Later castings have a thick horizontal taillights molded into the base.

-Aqua
-Orange
-Purple
-Gold
-Green
-Blue
-Antifreeze
-Red
-Copper
-Lime-Yellow
-Light Blue
-Brown (Strip Action Set only)

Hong Kong version has a smooth bed cover, blue tint windows, black roof, and a black steering wheel. Early production Orange and Purple versions had bases partially painted (either the back or the front and the back of the base, the same color as the body). There are vertical thin taillights molded into the base. Early Fleetsides had the exposed cylinders on the hood painted silver (later Fleetsides had the cylinders painted the same as the body color). Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Aqua
-Orange
-Purple
-Green
-Copper
-Blue
-Red

9. Custom Mustang

US version has clear windows, a painted grille, taillights molded into the base, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. Most Custom Mustangs have a smooth rear window. However, some had a louvered rear window, too.

-Gold
-Red
-Blue
-Copper
-Antifreeze
-Green
-Olive
-Aqua
-Purple
-Lime-Yellow
-Orange
-Pink (Creamy)
-Light Blue
-Brown
-Rose (Store display only)

US version with louvered rear window.

-Orange
-Light Blue

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows, an unpainted grille, taillights molded into the body, and a black steering wheel. Most Hong Kong Custom Mustangs had closed hood scoops. However, some had open hood scoops. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Gold
-Red
-Red with red interior
-Copper
-Green
-Blue
-Olive
-Aqua
-Purple
-Orange
-Pink (Creamy)

Hong Kong version with open hood scoops.

-Gold
-Red with red interior
-Red with white interior

10. Custom T-Bird

US version has clear windows, painted front grille, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. US Custom T-Birds came with or without black painted roofs. Some versions had outlined doors, too.

-Aquq
-Blue
-Green
-Gold (All interiors except white)
-Red
-Antifreeze
-Purple
-Gold with white interior (Store display only)

US version with black painted roof.

-Aqua
-Blue
-Gold
-Copper
-Purple
-Pink (Creamy)
-Green
-Red
-Antifreeze
-Olive
-Light Blue
-Orange

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows, an unpainted grille, and a black steering wheel. All Hong Kong Custom T-Birds have black painted roofs. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Aqua
-Gold
-Copper
-Blue
-Pink (Creamy)
-Green
-Purple
-Red
-Olive
-Orange

11. Custom Volkswagen

US version has clear windows, an engine that is physically low in the engine compartment, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. The headlights are outlined on the front fender and painted silver and all US Custom Volkswagens have an opening sunroof.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Gold
-Orange
-Copper
-Lime-Yellow
-Antifreeze
-Brown
-Olive
-Rose
-Purple
-Pink (Creamy)
-Magenta
-Light Blue
-Pink (Hot)
-Yellow

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows, an engine that is physically high in the engine compartment, and a black steering wheel. The headlights are part of the base and are visible through the round holes in the fenders. Most versions have an opening sunroof. However, a solid roof version were found in Hong Kong and Japanese blisterpaks only and are very hard to find. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Red
-Aqua
-Blue
-Green
-Orange
-Copper
-Olive
-Green enamel
-Purple
-Light Blue

Hong Kong version with no sunroof (not sold in the US).

-Blue
-Aqua
-Green
-Red
-Green enamel
-Orange
-Copper

There were two different versions of the Metal Collector Button, one reads "Custom Volkswagen" and the other reads "Custom VW".

12. Deora

US version has clear windows, ribbed headlights, front end that is part of the base, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior.

-Aqua
-Purple
-Antifreeze
-Gold
-Green
-Red
-Lime-Yellow
-Blue

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows, smooth headlights, front end that is part of the body, a black steering wheel, no dashboard but a front flat panel. Early production Deoras had bases partially painted and are less common. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Antifreeze
-Aqua
-Gold
-Purple
-Orange

13. Ford J-Car

US version has clear windows, black interior, unpainted base, side panels are part of the body, louvers on the rear vents, and a steering wheel molded with the interior.

-Aqua
-Green
-Lime-Yellow
-Brown
-Purple
-White Enamel
-Gold
-Orange
-Red
-Olive
-Rose
-Blue
-Light Blue
-Pink (Creamy)
-Antifreeze
-Pink (Hot)
-Blue Enamel (A giveaway at the Indianapolis 500 in a plastic bag)

US version with tan interior.

Colors listed alphabetically:

-Blue
-Green
-Purple

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows, black interior, painted base, side panels are part of the base, no louvers on the rear vents, and a black steering wheel. Some Hong Kong Ford J-Cars had louvered rear vents from an early and short production run and are considered rare. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-White Enamel
-Red
-Green
-Light Blue

14. Hot Heap

US version has a clear windshield, a short trunk, and a steering wheel molded with the interior. Hot Heaps with rounded windshield are believed to be prototypes. There are some early production models where the windshield slants forward (this is a result of how the windshield was released from the mold). Some collectors consider this a variation.

-Blue
-Gold
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Lime-Yellow
-Olive
-Rose
-Antifreeze
-Purple
-Copper
-Pink (Creamy)
-Light Blue
-Yellow
-Magenta
-Brown
-Light Green ('Go Team' Gift Pak)
-Pink (Hot)

Hong Kong version has a blue tint winshield, a long trunk, and a black steering wheel.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Orange
-Purple
-Brown
-Copper
-Pink (Creamy)

Both the US and Hong Kong had the Metal Collector Button.

15. Python

US version has clear windows (large rear window), straight bucket seats, small grille, black roof, an engine with dual carburetors, and a steering wheel and dashboard molded with the interior. The front and back end of the car are part of the base. Early production Pythons have black roofs with paint on the rear roof posts and around the back window.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Lime-Yellow
-Purple
-Antifreeze
-Gold
-Olive
-Orange
-Brown
-Rose
-Pink (Creamy)
-Light Blue
-Pink (Hot)
-Yellow
-Magenta

Hong Kong version has blue tint windows (small rear window), angled bucket seats, large grille, an engine with a supercharger, and a black steering wheel. The front and back end of the car are part of the body. Most Hong Kong Pythons have a black roof, although some have been found without a painted roof. The original name of this car was the 'Cheetah'. Pythons found with the name 'Cheetah' on the base very rare, only a few are known to exist. Early productions cars have been
found with deep dish wheels.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Purple
-Orange
-Gold
-Olive
-Copper
-Pink (Creamy)
-Red with 'Cheetah' base

16. Silhouette

US version has a clear window, an engine with dual carburetors, and a steering wheel molded with the interior.

-Blue
-Green
-Red
-Aqua
-Lime-Yellow
-Orange
-Purple
-Gold
-Olive
-Rose
-Antifreeze
-Magenta
-Yellow
-Light Blue
-Light Green
-Pink (Creamy)
-Pink (Hot)
-Brown

Hong Kong version has a blue tint window, an engine with a supercharger, and a black steering wheel. Early productions cars have been found with deep dish wheels.

-Purple
-Antifreeze
-Green
-Blue
-Aqua
-Red
-Purple with purple interior and silver headlights
-Pink (Creamy)

Hope you find this informative.

RollinFast
Site Admin

Postby RollinFast » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm

HOLY CRAP MARS! did you type all of that?! wow thanks for the dedication on this one!

Johny Dee
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

Postby Johny Dee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Just to add some thing Mars if you dont Have it Dont forget About the Boss Hoss club Car You had to join the club which you all know and you got the Chrome Boss Hoss.
"Be good if you cant Be good Be good at it"

mars
Site Admin

Postby mars » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21 pm

RollinFast wrote:

HOLY CRAP MARS! did you type all of that?! wow thanks for the dedication on this one!

I typed it out at the library and then saved what I got done on my thumb-drive. I had the book checked out at the time (I may renew it for more information). All in all, this took about two weeks to do. I am thinking about doing 1969 Redlines. However, I think I will ask my buddy if I can borrow his computer.

About the sentence "Hope you find this informative." When I re-read it, it can be taken two ways. To go on the record, there was more I could have typed, I chose to make it simple (and given the time I had at the library, too).

chargerman6904
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Re: 1968 Redlines Variation List

Postby chargerman6904 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:04 am

Hey mars thanks for the info I was wondering about my purple interior barracuda which is also purple .....I'd like to check out the book do you remember the name of this book I'd like to go check it out of the library
from your friendly new Moderator

mars
Site Admin

Re: 1968 Redlines Variation List

Postby mars » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Hey Pat, the book's title and authors' is "The Ultimate Redline Guide 1968-1977 Second Edition" by Jack Clark & Robert P. Wicker.

Return to “Variation Database”