'73 Pontiac A-bodies

Moderators: sfamiler, dmartin151, RollinFast, chargerman6904

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

'73 Pontiac A-bodies

Postby dragonhead00 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 am

I couldn't believe it when I found out JL was going to be producing these cars. In 1983, I owned a 1973 Pontiac Luxury LeMans (looks like a GTO without the louvers on the rear pillars and the NACA-style hood ducts) and I looked everywhere for a model of my car. I was told they didn't make one and it would take $100K to have one made. I was thrilled, to say the least, to hear of these almost 20 years later. I think I'm still missing a couple or so:

'73 GTO

'73 Grand Am (The white one has a "GTO" tampo on the deck lid. I believe they all were made that way.)
Dairy Delivery, VWs, Pontiacs, Mustangs, Mopars, European cars (Esp. Ferrari and Lamborghini), & Matchbox by Lesney

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Re: '73 Pontiac A-bodies

Postby Pontiecast » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 am

WOW....Those are nice!!! I have the white and yellow GTO's but now I need to find those other colors!!! That Grand Am with the SD-455 on the front fender is killer!!! I know Pontiac never put that engine in that car, but they were supposed to. Stupid GM. I have a jacked up Grand Am, i believe it's part of the Street Freaks. Here is a pic with a JL Spoilers Grand Prix.

Love them JL's!!!!

OH, check your Grand Am's. There was one released that had the GTO tampo on the passanger rear decklid....

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby dragonhead00 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:57 am

Pontiecast wrote:WOW....Those are nice!!! I have the white and yellow GTO's but now I need to find those other colors!!! That Grand Am with the SD-455 on the front fender is killer!!! I know Pontiac never put that engine in that car, but they were supposed to. Stupid GM. I have a jacked up Grand Am, i believe it's part of the Street Freaks. Here is a pic with a JL Spoilers Grand Prix.

Love them JL's!!!!

OH, check your Grand Am's. There was one released that had the GTO tampo on the passanger rear decklid....

:lol: check back on my post what I wrote above the white Grand Am. That was the first thing I noticed when I bought it. BTW, I think all the GA's had the SD455 tampo. :wink: Also, I believe the first JL Grand Am was modeled after that one-off SD455 GA prototype. I have the picture in one of my books/magazines somewhere.

Also, check this out. The '73 GTO was also slated to receive the 310hp SD thumper. It would have made the GTO the most powerful muscle car in 1973. I don't know if you ever saw this. A magazine called "Performance Cars" had actually named the 1973 Pontiac SD455 GTO "Car of the Year" in April of '72.
Dairy Delivery, VWs, Pontiacs, Mustangs, Mopars, European cars (Esp. Ferrari and Lamborghini), & Matchbox by Lesney

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby Pontiecast » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 am

oops...I was gazing at the pics and missed the statement about the GTO tampo :)

Yes I did see that 310SD thumper before...too bad it never happened.....After DeLorean left Pontiac, the top brass at GM never hired another "CAR GUY"....... the beginning of the end :(

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby dragonhead00 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 am

Pontiecast wrote:That Grand Am with the SD-455 on the front fender is killer!!! I know Pontiac never put that engine in that car, but they were supposed to. Stupid GM.

I just remembered that I had this pic. It is supposed to be one of the prototype SD455 GAs that Pontiac tested back in '72. They were supposed to have been destroyed, but rumors circulated that one of them was sold to a collector before it was to be shredded. I believe the NACA scoops are functional on this car. I have the plans to make the scoops on these hoods functional, btw.

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby Pontiecast » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:55 pm

What GREAT potential those cars have!!!! Tighten up the suspension slightly, not too much though, fill it with some hot cubes of Pontiac power, Ralley II's wrapped in BF G's and hit the road. A guy in my neaghborhood has a '73-'75 LeMans under a cover. It's originally from Chicago and has a little bit-o-rust. Asking $10k for it. Crazy.
Man those "A" bodies are underrated!!! LOVE 'EM!!!

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby dragonhead00 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

$10K is ridiculous for a rusty a-body because body parts are hard to come by. Believe it or not, though, the collectors have taken notice of the GM '73-'77 a-bodies and good examples are going for some surprising numbers. I saw a very nice '73 Pontiac Luxury LeMans low mileage driver go for $6K. That was the exact car had. I wished I had the six grand to buy it because it was beautiful.

Return to “Johnny Lightning”