JLs vs HWs

Moderators: sfamiler, dmartin151, RollinFast, chargerman6904

Quitkjr
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

JLs vs HWs

Postby Quitkjr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:04 am

If you were to advise a youngster today on collecting small toy cars, would you recommend JLs or HWs or something else and why?

Just a passing observation tells me that JLs my hold an edge in quality and variety except the hubs seems a little cheaper looking than those on HWs.

I'm familiar with the HW numbering system, but the JL one makes no sense to me, maybe because I haven't "studied" them.

Thanks for any responses,

Quit
I should have started collecting way earlier!

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Re: JLs vs HWs

Postby dragonhead00 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:36 am

That depends on which JLs you're talking about. Since JL came out with an entry level series and it's the closest in construction and price, I'll compare those. JL has many defects that don't warrant the extra dollar, including flimsy openings, ill-fitting hubs and for the young cardboard collector, poor packaging. Also, their limited release options and sketchy distribution might cause frustration when building that new collection. The entry JL series has its good points, like interesting castings, multi-tier chase program, and nice graphics and paint. Still, when I weigh the pros vs. cons, I have to think about that extra dollar and recommend the diecasts with much of the same problems, but many more pros to enjoy. I say go with the 99 cent HWs for that new collector.
Dairy Delivery, VWs, Pontiacs, Mustangs, Mopars, European cars (Esp. Ferrari and Lamborghini), & Matchbox by Lesney

Quitkjr
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

Postby Quitkjr » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:38 am

dragonhead00:

Thanks for your input. I was talking about the cheapest of the JLs, the ones closest to HWs.

Quit

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby dragonhead00 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Those are the one's I'm talking about. The Forever64 series. They're only a couple of bucks. That's the cheapest and newest JL you can buy.
Dairy Delivery, VWs, Pontiacs, Mustangs, Mopars, European cars (Esp. Ferrari and Lamborghini), & Matchbox by Lesney

Quitkjr
Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

Postby Quitkjr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:09 am

dragonhead00:

Thanks for the information. Shows you what I know about JLs!

Good hunting to you,

Quit

dragonhead00
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby dragonhead00 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:44 pm

No worries and thanks!

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby Pontiecast » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:06 pm

I agree with DH. For the new collector Hot Wheels are the better choice. Not only because of the price, but just for the popularity and seamingly endless information on them. Just compare the posts between JL and HW on this board.
When I 1st started collecting in the late 90's, JLs were plentiful and much better detail / quality. I agree with DH on the Forever 64 series, but they are all metal. They are getting much harder to find. At least in my area.

Return to “Johnny Lightning”