Raybestos 1:18 '64 GTO story....

Moderators: sfamiler, dmartin151, RollinFast, chargerman6904

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Raybestos 1:18 '64 GTO story....

Postby Pontiecast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

A few years back, a company by the name of Sun Star made a diecast version of the 1964 Pontiac GTO. As a matter of fact, I believe Sun Star may be the only company to make the '64 GTO in 1:18. Well, when they first came out they looked stock. Stock hood, interior, hub caps, etc. And, I believe they came in only 3 colors. Red, silver and teal. A few years later, they made a black one (1 of 1,000) for a 40th anniversary Pontiac event. (that black car was also released in black chrome and gold plated chase versions) A few years after that, they were produced as race versions with blowers sticking out of the hood and yet a later version in full drag race style. So, the stock ones are extremely rare and very hard to find now. Occasionally you see them on eBay for well over $60.00.
ANYWAY, last year, the brake manufacturer Raybestos built a real life road race 1964 GTO for a promotion. Someone actually won the real car! AND they offered a promotional package to Raybestos dealers that included point of sale material, shirts and a 1:18 diecast 1964 Pontiac GTO. The kit was around $100.00. Unfortunately my shop was not a Raybestos dealer/supplier, so I couldn't get e car. As luck would have it, one of my parts suppliers brought in a Raybestos rep into my shop. I had to ask him if he could find out if there are any left and what I had to do to get one. He said he would look into it. Yesterday, he said he was able to pull some strings and get me one! FOR FREE! How's that for. RAOK! So I don't have it yet, but here is a pic I found online. Pretty cool. Sorry for the long read. Just kinda excited!

WfoDnf

Re: Raybestos 1:18 '64 GTO story....

Postby WfoDnf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Very cool Brad, can't wait for some pics when ya get it! :mrgreen:

Mabroyles
Rocketeer
Rocketeer

Postby Mabroyles » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Kool. What kinda shop do u work at/ own.

Pontiecast
Classic Muscle
Classic Muscle

Postby Pontiecast » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:13 am

I don't own the shop, just run the place like I do! Ha ha. I'm an operations manager for a fleet truck repair shop. We repair light, medium and heavy duty trucks and equipment, trailers, skid steers, bobcats, rollers, and just about everything...

Return to “Other Brands”